Children 2 to 6 years old
Students between 2 and 6 years old may be enrolled in the closest preschool to their residence, based on the limited spaces available in the school.
Children from 6 to 11 years old
All students between 6 and 11 years old who are just arriving in France are directed by their district’s city hall to the Unité Pédagogique pour Elèves Allophones Arrivants (UPE2A: organization for non-French speaking students) of the school closest to their residence.
A teacher evaluates their levels in French and mathematics.
According to the results, the student will be placed in a UPE2A or in an ordinary class. The city hall will then execute the student’s registration.
Consult the district city hall’s address
Documents required by the parents or guardian:
- child’s identification
- proof of residency (gas or electric bill received within last 3 months or current bill statement, last tax form or tax exemption form based on revenue, last property tax form and license-fee)
- for guardians, a document proving that they are the child’s legal entrusted guardian
- medical documents concerning mandatory vaccines: BCG (tuberculosis), DT-IPV (diphtheria, tetanus, and polio). These vaccines must have already been received or be in the process of being received.
Children older than 11 years old
- Your child must take both French and mathematics tests (in their native language)
- To do this, make an appointment at CASNAV by clicking the link : Prendre rendez-vous au CASNAV
The exams take place at 8:00 am at CASNAV in the Académie de Paris,
> 12 boulevard d’Indochine, 75019 Paris
> metro stop Porte de Pantin on line 5 or tram 3B stop “Butte du chapeau rouge”
Attention: CASNAV is closed during school vacations.
The day of the test
You must submit an administrative application. List of documents to bring :
- Child’s photo identification including date of birth
- Birth certificate
- Parent/guardian’s photo identification
- Two proof of housing documents in the name of the legal parent/guardian: EDF or GDF bill (received within last 3 months), lease or property deed or tax form
In case of accommodation : provide proof of accommodation with individual, accompanied by photo identification of accommodator. We retain the right to require other supporting documents if necessary
- Allocation receipt or proof of social security
- Proof of supervision for children arriving in France unaccompanied by their parents
- School report card from home country (facultative)
You must bring original documents; CASNAV does not make photocopies
Original documents in foreign languages must be accompanied by an official translation by a certified translator (no photocopies). Addresses of certified translators can be found at the city hall, préfecture, police station, or online through the Compagnie des Experts Traducteurs – Interprètes assermentés
After the tests, your child will be placed in a middle school or high school. You will receive this assignment by mail.
Mise à jour : mai 2023